|Stony Creek No. 5 F. & A.M.
Stony Creek #5 has always asserted that it is truly unique among Michigan
Masonic Lodges. Since it's creation on January 9th,1828 there have been
numerous milestones to confirm this claim:
|Freemasonry...a beautiful system of morals, veilled in allegory, and illustrated by symbols
|1951 - Stony Creek / Rochester #5 member Dr. Morgan J. Smead becomes
the Grand Master of the State of Michigan.
1960 - Stony Creek / Rochester #5 moves to 318 Walnut Street, Rochester,
MI, to the former St. Paul's Methodist Church built in 1912.
January 9, 1978 - Stony Creek / Rochester #5 celebrates 150 years of
May 6, 1980 - The Lodge was renamed to Stony Creek #5 which it has
remained to this date.
1980 - Current - Stony Creek #5 continues to meet on the 1st Tuesday of
every month (except July and August) at the Masonic Temple (Lodge) at
1988 - Stony Creek #5 member Kenneth Bolton becomes the Grand Master
of the State of Michigan.
June 1997 - 150th anniversary of the laying of the cornerstone for the first
building erected in Michigan exclusively for Masonic usage.
June 4, 1997 - The State of Michigan pays a special tribute to Stony Creek
for its' 150th anniversary.
January 9, 2013 - Stony Creek #5 celebrates 185 years of activity.
There are three Michigan Historical Markers related to the Stony Creek /
Rochester Lodge and a monument erected by the Grand Lodge of Michigan.
The first Michigan Historical Marker is located in Stony Creek Metro Park
and is a testament to William Austin Burt, the first Worshipful Master of
Stony Creek Lodge.
The second marker is related to the Lodge is located in downtown Rochester
on the Northeast corner of Main Street and 4th Street. Rochester Lodge #5
resided in that building from 1899 to 1960 before it moved to its current
location on Walnut Street.
January 9, 1828 - The Grand Lodge of Michigan grants dispensation to
meetings of the newly formed Stony Creek Lodge to be held in the home of
1828 through roughly 1844 - Stony Creek Lodge is the only Lodge in
Michigan that did not go dark during this period of anti-Masonic sentiments.
This makes Stony Creek the oldest continuously operating Lodge in Michigan.
1840's - Stony Creek Lodge was twice given leave to meet in different
locations without asking Grand Lodge for formal permission. Stony Creek
Lodge was the only Lodge granted such permission.
October 5, 1842 - Stony Creek #7 becomes Stony Creek #3 when the
Grand Lodge of Michigan changes the number.
January 8, 1845 - The Lodge goes back to Stony Creek #7 when the Grand
Lodge of Michigan once again changes the number.
June 4, 1845 - The Lodge becomes Stony Creek #5 when the number was
once again changed by the Grand Lodge of Michigan. The number 5 has
remained with the Lodge since that time.
January 12, 1859 -The Lodge was renamed to Rochester #5 as a reflection
of the Lodge relocating from Stony Creek to the Village of Rochester.
February 6, 1868 - A fire destroys all of the Lodge records.
1874 - A fire destroys all of the books in the Lodge, but not the records.
January 9, 1878 - The Lodge celebrates 50 years of activity.
1909 - Another fire is reported. However, it is not known if the fire originated
at the Lodge or at the Lodge secretary's home.
August 9, 1920 - A fire destroyed all contents of the Lodge room.
January 9, 1928 - Stony Creek / Rochester Lodge #5 celebrates 100 years
The third marker is located next to Stony Creek on the grounds of the
Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm. This marker tells of the first
building built in Michigan exclusively for Masonic purposes.
The monument erected by the Grand Lodge of Michigan in 1929 is in Stony
Creek cemetery on Romeo Street in Rochester. This monument encases
the stone from the first building built (1847) in Michigan exclusively for
Masonic usage. Upon this monument you will find the following:
"This memorial in remembrance of those craftsmen who's faith outweighed
"Around this rough ashlar rest heroic Brothers of Stony Creek Lodge U.D.
keeper of the only Masonic Light that burned in Michigan during the dark
days of 1826 - 1844."
June 24, 1847 - Since its initial creation, Stony Creek Lodge did not have a
permanent home. On this date, a cornerstone was laid for a building which
would be used exclusively for Masonic purposes. The site was on a wooded
hill overlooking the Village of Stony Creek and was named "Mount Moriah."
This was the first building built exclusively for Masonic purposes in Michigan.