The First Building Built Exclusively For Masonic Purposes
|Compliments - M.J. Smead"
In 1847, the Stony Creek Masons took action to
build their own Temple. This they did at the
summit of Mt. Moriah, just west of the village of
Stony Creek, with the hills and valleys beyond
forming a panorama of rare beauty.
Two years after laying the cornerstone, on July 4,
1849, the dedication to the new building was
conducted in full Masonic honors and the first
building in the state of Michigan built solely for
Masonic purposes was complete.
Right in front and below was the inn kept by
Joshua B. Taylor within whose walls the pioneers
of those days were wont to gather and discuss the
news of the day. Just beyond was the house built
by Nathaniel Millerd, which served as the first
Lodge room for Stony Creek; while most
perpendicularly below flows the little stream from
which Stony Creek took its name.
The Temple itself was a modest frame structure, painted red, standing upon a foundation a
few feet high. The entrance was through a single door, in a deep stone foundation, and a
visitor found himself in a sort of cellar, from which a narrow stairway let to the Lodge room
above. The Temple was a conspicuous object for miles around. Meetings were held therein
until 1853, when the Lodge moved to Rochester.
The cornerstone of the original Temple was "rescued" some 70 years later by a committee
appointed by Grand Master F. Homer Newton. This was embedded in a monument was
erected in a cemetery near the former site of the Temple in 1929.
This memorial plus the headstone bearing the Square and Compass emblems are in memory
of Daniel B Taylor, the courageous and faithful Tyler who died August 13, 1874, are the major
outward signs still existent of Stony Creek Lodge.