|Stony Creek No. 5 F. & A.M.
The Rochester-Avon Historical Society
The historical information was taken from:
"Historical Tour Guide - A Walking and Driving Tour of Rochester, Rochester Hills, and Stony
Creek Village, Michigan"
Published by the Rochester-Avon Historical Society, Inc.
The first recorded burial in Stony Creek Cemetery took place
in 1825, long before the cemetery was established. In 1839,
Nathaniel Millerd (who's home hosted the first formative
meetings of the Lodge) paid Chauncey DeForris $300 for an
80 acre parcel of land in Avon Township. On March 8th of
that same year, Richard Lacey paid $50 for a small portion of
the land for public burials.
Control of the cemetery was given to the Grand Lodge of
Michigan, Free and Accepted Masons in 1924. It was not
discovered until many years later that the Masons actually
owned the cemetery. In 1981, Avon Township paid $1 for a
deed transfer from the Mason's.
Many of the original Stony Creek Village settlers are buried there; most notably, the Taylors, the
Van Hoosens and the Millards.
The original Stony Creek Schoolhouse was built in 1825 and
was the first school built in the area. This is the first location
where the installation of Officers was publicly held.
|Masonic Lodge - 1900 to 1959
Nathaniel Millerd, one of the early pioneers of Stony Creek
Village, built this house near the stage coach route that led to
the city of Romeo.
Nathaniel was an inspiring leader in the new community. He
sold merchandise from his home before a general store
existed. He was deacon of the Taylor's Baptist Church of
Stony Creek, the first church built in Avon Township.
In 1828, when the Stony Creek Masonic Lodge was formed,
the meetings were held in this house. From 1829 to
1840, Masonry was suspended in the state of Michigan. Daniel Taylor maintained the Lodge and
kept "The Light of Masonry" glowing in this territory. In 1990, this house was recognized with the
Earl Borden Historic Preservation Award.
Built in the turn of the century, the Masonic Temple was part
of the Masonic block, designed by Edward R. Prall. The
Rochester Lodge No. 5 (now Stony Creek Lodge No.5) Free
and Accepted Masons occupied the second floor of the
building from 1900 to 1959.
The first floor of the Masonic Temple was occupied by the
Rochester Savings Bank. William C. Chapman, president of
the bank and a leader of the Rochester Building Association,
and Henry J. Taylor, al local businessman, were instrumental in raising funds for the construction
of the Masonic block.
Currently, the building houses a number of different retail outlets. The historical plaque can be
found on the south side of the building.
For information on
the Rochester Hills
Museum, click here.
|Masonic Lodge / Nathaniel Millerd House 1828 - 1844
|Masonic Lodge - 1959 to Present
The Rochester Masons purchased this building from the First Methodist Episcopal Church, later
know as St. Paul's Methodist Church, in 1959. Since that time, Stony Creek No.5 has
continued to meet at this location: 318 Walnut Street